Thursday, April 7, 2011

Down on the Junkyard, Volume I

Welcome to the start of another running series that will occur every few months; which I shall call "Down on the Junkyard" because that's what it used to be called on Jalopnik, and I liked it. My junkyard of choice is the Ecology Pick-a-Part in Oceanside, California. Truth be told, the majority of the cars there were shitty old Big 3 sedans, but there were still some interesting sights.

I honestly had no idea what this was. It looked really neat though.


It's a British Leyland something-or-other.

The only indicator of origin: this MG badge on the steering wheel.

A product of Joe Lucas, Son of Sam.


El-Fucking-Camino!

One of several E30's to be seen there. Many in the junkyard seemed to be cleaner than most of the ones on the road, unfortunately.

Somebody used the emergency release for the seatbelts! My dad's Camry had this; it was like the Men In Black button.

Hopefully this W123 donates itself to its countless brethren still driving around slowly.
I remember when this car was brand-new. So that's weird.

This Camry is wrecked, but I bet this guy still made bank selling it.

My dad's Camry was totaled hard, and he still got more than I got for the two cars I've sold to Ecology.

The only reason I put this picture up is because I remember seeing this in my old neighborhood, like, every day.
Or it was an identical Rabbit Cabrio covered in Chargers decals that lived a block away from me.

Sad 240Z is sad.

E30 4-door!

This Acura Legend must have met, like, the back of a flatbed truck.
The number of Volvo 240s was simply tragic.

This one must have been from the late 70's.

The reason we came here: Harvesting parts for my friend's Dodge Stealth. Unfortunately, this similar vintage, Fast and Furious orange Mitsubishi 3000GT was similarly picked-over.
Probably my second-favorite car there, after the MG Whatzit.

This one didn't seem as bad as many I see on Craigslist.


Fiat proof!
Surprisingly the only Subaru to be found that day.

I was really, really hoping this was an E34. Twas a mere E32, but it was still nice. We must have spent 10 minutes trying to open the hood, to no avail.

The airbag in this Volvo did it's job admirably.

Two Chevrolet Corsas, straight outta Mexico.

This Range Rover was in surprisigly good shape inside and out, meaning it's owner was probably just fed up with it's English eccentricities.
My final haul home for the day. I made that Mercedes hood ornament into a bitchin'-sweet necklace.

No comments:

Post a Comment